Thomas Sedgwick [George Sedgwick / Ann Benson]
Parmelia Hodge [parents unknown]
1820 NY Columbia, Chatham
1830 NY Columbia, New Lebanon
1840 NY Columbia, Stockport
1850 NY Columbia, Hudson
1860 CA San Joaquin, Stockton
1870 CA San Joaquin, Stockton
"THOMAS SEDGWICK, believed to have come from England when 19 years old, located in California about 1850, coming by boat, around the Horn. He had two sons, Charles and Thomas. C G Sedgwick of Long Beach, California, and D J Sedgwick, Cupertino, Santa Clara Co., California, are said to be descendants of this Thomas Sedgwick."
- Francis Morris or Hubert Merrill Sedgwick New Haven Collection
Thomas Sedgwick was appointed deputy sheriff in Columbia County, New York, in 1843 and was known as "a man who dared to do bis duty" after arresting the leaders of the "Anti-Rent war" (1844-1845) of that county.6 The report of his death said he moved to California in 1849, but he was still in New York at the 1850 census, so 1850-1851 is a good guess of his move date.
Thomas met his death when a train struck his buggy.6 He had apparently grown deaf at the age of 92; it is surmised that he didn't hear the whistle. According to the report, his wife had returned east because of ill health, where she had lived with her daughters till her death. However, the grave monument in Stockton indicates she was buried there, so she probably died in Stockton.
b. abt 1820, New York
b. abt 1830, New York1
m. abt 1859, Mary A Unknown1
b. abt 1832, New York1
d. Jan 22, 1874, [Stockton, San Joaquin, California?]1,3
m. 1859, Albina Ann Farrington4
b. abt 1835, New York1
The early census records indicate that there are other children.
Sources and notes:
1. Census records, any of those indicated.
2. "Sedgwick" by Donna Ziegler
3. Farrington Memorial [R929.2 F246]
4. California Death Index 1940-1997
5. The parish register of Bolton Abbey, 1689 to 1812, LDS Film 0477646 Item 2.
6. Hudson (New York) Daily Evening Register, Tuesday November 2, 1886.
7. Photograph of grave monument of Thomas Sedgwick and "Phimelia" Sedgwick
|Questions? Have more data? email@example.com|