was one of the first women to be appointed as a clerk to the War
Department. Beginning during the Civil War she held that position
forty years. Upon her retirement she made her home at Sharon,
Conn., where she died in April, 1926, aged 91 years.
Caroline Swan Sedgwick, 6th child of General Charles F. Sedgwick
(B21,1) and Betsey (Swan) Sedgwock, was born January 22, 1839,
at Sharon, Conn., and married September 5, 1861, Dr. William W.
Knight of that place. He was born at Granby, Mass., July 11, 1833,
attended the Berkshire Medical Institute and Lyceum of Medical
History (this from its seal), from which he received a diploma in
1855. He was First Lieutenant and Assistant Surgeon of the 3d New
York Volunteer Artillery. After the Civil War they resided at Sharon
where he practiced medicine and kept the village drugstore. He was
a member of a family which produced several distinguished doctors
of medicine, was a surgeon in the United States Army during the
Civil War and a brother of Dr. Henry Knight, who founded the
pioneer school for feeble-minded at Lakeville, Conn., a nationally
known institution. He was an uncle of Dr. George Knight who
carried on the school until his death while campaigning for Congress.
A nephew, Robert, was also a physician. Dr. Knight died at Sharon
February 18, 1912. Mrs. Knight died at Sharon May 1, 1917.
Children, all born at Sharon (Knight):
1. Charles Sedgwick, b. September 22, 1862. (B21,161)
2. William Henry, b. June 14, 1865. (B21,162)
3. Emma Sedgwick, b. May 21, 1870. (B21,163)
Charles Sedgwick Knight, 1st child of Caroline Swan (Sedgwick)
Knight (B21,16) and Dr. William Knight, was born September 22,
1862, at Sharon, Conn., and married Clara George. They resided at
Chicago where he was a travelling salesman and a wholesale dealer
in eggs. She died at Chicago September 5, 1933, and was buried at
Erie, Pa. No children.
William Henry Knight, 2d child of Caroline Swan (Sedgwick) Knight
(B21,16) and Dr. William W. Knight, was born June 14, 1865, at
Sharon, Conn., became an engineer and during the Spanish War
joined Battery A, 7th Artillery, March 15, 1898, at