SEDGWICK.ORG presents:
A Sedgwick Genealogy: Descendants of Deacon Benjamin Sedgwick
page 54

Description First Page Previous Page Next Page Last Page
out from a cleft in the rock where he was watching. Jumping astride the animal he rode it some distance down the mountain before the bear was subdued.

The inscription on his gravestone reads: "He left behind him the name of the lover of God, mankind, his country and his friends."

The following is from the gravestone of Mrs. Sedgwick: "Sacred to the memory of Abigail Sedgwick, wife of the Hon. John Sedgwick, Esq. She died of a dropsy April 26, 1811, aged 66 years. Mother of 13 children, This Stone is erected to fallen Humanity."

'Which when alive did vigour give
To as much goodness as could live.'

In the historical address on Cornwall Church, Charles F. Sedgwick said, October 19, 1865, of Captain John Sedgwick, as given on page 185 of the Gold Genealogy:

"He was fourteen years of age when his father died and all he inherited was two-sevenths of his father's estate, which was encumbered with the support of a young and expensive family. Yet at the age of fifty and before he divided his estate, he was owner of a tract two and one-half miles east and west, and averaging more than a mile wide and comprising 1600 acres. He was never affluent. His whole income was devoted to the support of a large household. He was first Captain and then Major in the Revolutionary Army and after the war Brigadier General of Militia. He started to join his regiment at Ticonderoga and in December, 1775, on the first night of his absence from home, his house was consumed by fire. General Sedgwick was called back by express and it is said that within one week the frame of a new house was standing on the site of the old one. He was a member of the Connecticut legislature in 28 sessions."

"He always lived on his farm. In the year 1780 he erected a forge on the stream at the east side of Cornwall Hollow and large quantities of iron were manufactured from the Salisbury ore mined nearby. He erected a grist mill on the same stream about 60 rods distant and also built a saw mill."

"His friends point out that a petition to Congress for deserved financial recompense and services and for relief, which he sent late in life, gave his reasons for leaving the army. This document is in possession of Mrs. John S. Barss (B21,163,1) of Andover, Mass. He became a member of the Cincinnati, recorded as of the 7th Regiment, Conn., Continental Line; resigned February 10, 1778."

Home | Books